2006-01-22

Where there's a Way, there's a Will, right?

I'm supposed to be studying. I'm supposed to be getting up, seeing the children off to school, eating a healthy breakfast, and settling down to a full day of school work. Monday to Friday, week in and week out, for the next 5 1/2 months. The machinery of education is oiled and ready, and the necessary money is being supplied. The courses are even relatively interesting. But what am I doing?

I've started playing a TV game for the first time in years. I'm trying to finish up a poem. I'm reading the seed catalogue and planning this year's garden. I'm experimenting with our new camera. I'm doing a good deal of nothing.

One week has already slithered down the drain, and I heard the satisfied clunking sound the sink made as it went. God help me, I hope it's not hungry for more.

14 Comments:

Blogger brendar said...

I often feel the least like doing what needs to be done the most.

6:02 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

Excellent observation, Brendar. I'm in the same boat. Then when I finally get around to doing it, I think "Wow, that was as big a waste of time as I'd feared"

6:07 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger Aimless Chatter said...

Sounds like the life of a student.

6:29 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Mr. B,
I am desperately hoping I'm beyond the knee-jerk variety, and that there's a deeper reason for my disinclination. If I can put my finger on it, perhaps it will pass.

6:51 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Joe,
Is there room in that boat for me, too?

6:55 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

A.C.,
Aye, and it hasn't changed in the 20 years I've been away from it.

6:57 PM, January 23, 2006  
Blogger charles blunt said...

The good news is so far you have only used 1 week .Maybe with any luck or motavation by week 9 or 10 things will be on track. But if not you have only used 9 or 10 weeks . so on an on an on ------------

9:32 PM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Steve,
I believe you're right. I just hope there's time left for what I HAVE to do.

11:17 PM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Charles,
The half-full approach. A good plan. And I won't have to agonize until the last minute.

11:21 PM, January 24, 2006  
Blogger consise10 said...

Well it sounds like you are procrastinating...we`ve all done that.Don`t worry when it becomes more serious Im sure you`ll step up! :--)

6:48 AM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Consise,
Perhaps it's easier to stop if it has a single word attached to it. "Stop procrastinating, Jeanne!"

7:42 PM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger tsduff said...

I love your way of putting things. One week has already slithered down the drain, and I heard the satisfied clunking sound the sink made as it went. God help me, I hope it's not hungry for more. Well put.

All the stuff you are doing sounds like the best stuff to do. Go for it - the mundane stuff will always be there for you.

10:33 PM, January 25, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Terry,
I think I am restoring balance.

9:39 AM, January 26, 2006  
Blogger brendar said...

Careful there tsduff. The mundane stuff can slither away before you miss it.

12:11 PM, January 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home