2005-12-14

I am an Instrument of Fate

I had an appointment with someone today in her office, a place I've been several times before. I crossed the street and started up the block her entrance is on, and passed a doorway with a sign for something else. I walked on, but saw no other doorway until I reached the end of the block where another wrong doorway was. What? Could it be in the next block? I looked ahead, but there were no doors in the next building, and then the street ended. Was I on the right street? Confusion reigned. I went into the music shop I was in front of and bought something. I considered asking for a phone book to check the address, but it was too crowded, so I went back out and walked BACK down the block, past the last wrong door, and all of a sudden, right there in the middle of the block was the door I was looking for. A big door, with a big, white sign. IMPOSSIBLE to miss. I went up, bemused and disgruntled. We talked, and as I prepared to leave she looked down at the bag I was carrying from the shop I'd gone in to. Oh! She'd forgotten to buy tickets at that store for a concert later this month! How lucky that I had reminded her! I told her about the door, of course. She had a right to know.

12 Comments:

Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Perhaps it simply wasn't there first time around.

This has happened to me.

No matter how ferverently I defended myself, my employers still didn't believe when I explained this was the reason for my lateness one day.

5:30 PM, December 14, 2005  
Blogger Joe said...

You are, indeed, Jeanne. Can you please swing by the next time I forget something?

5:31 PM, December 14, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

UTMG,
That explanation has occurred to me. On the off-chance that you are serious.

6:47 PM, December 14, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Joe,
Today a door, tomorrow the Atlantic! Just give a little whistle.

6:50 PM, December 14, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Steve,
I can't say until after Christmas, in case my son reads this. If you really want to know now, I'll send you a mail.

8:03 PM, December 15, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

It's not the facts so much as the feeling in a case like this. And it NEVER has happened to me before.

12:26 PM, December 16, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Not with a door, anyway.

9:16 PM, December 16, 2005  
Blogger brendar said...

There is a deeper, more mysterious force at work, not in what we purposefully do, but rather in what we fail to do or avoid all together. This force draws us to believe that there is a reason for everything and then reason becomes our goal. When this happens we lose sight of the beauty that pulses through all of our random and aimless actions.

2:51 PM, December 23, 2005  
Blogger Greg Garvin said...

The door? Perhaps it "moved" for a moment.

"... we lose sight of the beauty that pulses through all of our random and aimless actions."

True.

12:35 AM, December 24, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Brendar, Gar,
Are you two currently attached at the hip?
Brendar,
I wasn't so much looking for a reason, but rather rocking on the ebbing ripples of that elusive pulse.

Merry Christmas to both of you.

11:04 PM, December 24, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

And Merry (happy) Christmas Steve. I was interupted by the pulse of Christmas present before I could press enter, and the next thing I knew someone had turned off the computer. I've only found my breath now, and I've got to go to bed ):

12:09 AM, December 26, 2005  
Blogger brendar said...

Steve,
If beauty has a pulse then I suppose ugliness has one as well. I think it is more a question of perspective though.

5:55 PM, December 27, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home