2005-03-17

Perhaps they're being examined by aliens

As a young lass, nigh on forty years ago, I was occasionally tortured by a children's program called "Romper Room". I was a generous viewer in general, but "R.R." was way over my threshhold. The only thing I remember from the program, beyond the deathly boring general ambience, is how the adult female leader of the group of emotionally and intellectually mangled children would pick up a hand-mirror at the end. The mirror was, or became, hollow, and she would stare out through it into the tv camera, saying, "I see Johnny, I see Susie, and there's Jimmy, and Ruth, and Davy..."

Well.....

I don't see Greggy, I don't see Joey, and where's Amber, and Alison, and....

It's odd how these things come in rashes. Perhaps it is an alien invasion.

8 Comments:

Blogger brendar said...

Oh, come now. You certainly seem to see Brendar.
In my town it was Miss Sally. She never saw Brendar.

3:52 AM, March 18, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

A lucky break, I'd say. Imagine walking around, feeling all the time as though Big Miss Sally is watching YOU.

12:04 PM, March 18, 2005  
Blogger Allison said...

A bizarre shared experience, Jeanne. I watched every day, waiting to be seen, and you're right: I never was.

2:19 AM, March 19, 2005  
Blogger Greg Garvin said...

Fearless leader Bargar was a guest on this most horrific of shows. For this reason, I believe that occasional therapy and plenteous bourbon whisky can heal any early childhood trauma. I still get shivers … perhaps I need a belt.

10:21 PM, March 19, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Perhaps you need a belt....perhaps you need a belt.... I think I need a martian translator.

10:34 PM, March 19, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

The fog is clearing. A belt of whiskey? As in a quick drink? I guess an American translator would have done here.

10:45 PM, March 19, 2005  
Blogger Greg Garvin said...

Indeedy-do! We "belt" our whisky this side of the pond.

1:02 AM, March 20, 2005  
Blogger brendar said...

Interesting how we all want to be seen.

2:42 PM, March 21, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home