2005-10-17

Pinch Me, Someone

1.) The local archeologists (bless their trousers) have placed a constraint on the development of the field in front of us. Anyone wanting to build there will have to foot the bill for a major excavation first. Of course, there were rules against developing there already, because we live in a cultural-historically protected area, but the local officials, misguided in their greed, were trying to weasle their way past them. No offence meant, any weasles who might be reading this.

2.) We have lots of apples to store over the winter, but we lacked good racks to put them in. We could have nicked some bread racks from outside of any food store, but honest as we are, we've refrained. On our way in to our favorite second-hand store, I hoped to find some bread racks there. There have never been bread racks there, but I hoped anyway. Lo and behold, upon the shelf were no less than 7 bread racks, calling out my name in sweet harmony.

3.) Our dog insists on sleeping under the stairs in the "closet". Each time I sort through the cast-off clothes and the mending, and sort it into paper bags, he eagerly digs around and builds a new bed there, destroying any semblance of order. "Wretched, shedding cur!" I howl (though in Swedish), and sort through it again, too kind hearted to deny him his creature comforts. This time I decided I could take it no more. Cost what it may, I was going to procure those clever plastic boxes with the snap on lids, 31 liter size, and deter his nesting instincts. He can sleep on a blanket like all the other dogs in the neighborhood. I seized the add page from the department store in town, and what to my wondering eyes should appear but the very boxes I coveted, at half price!

4.) I said we had apples, and we do, but we almost didn't. We pick fruit in a 14 acre abandonded apple orchard, but this year it was defoliated and defruited by some nasty insect as far as the eye could see. On a whim, I wandered into a distant, inaccessable corner, and it was Christmas in October. Way up at the top of a steep hill were apples enough for our own needs and all those I usually pick for. Joy abounded.

Added to all this is the fact that the cucumbers have succumbed to frost and finally stopped growing, along with the tomatoes and beans and plums. Phew. I was getting a bit worried there. But I cannot help but wonder how so many things can go right at once. Am I dreaming?

21 Comments:

Blogger Joe said...

Serendipity abounds.

I'm going to go ahead and guess that former archeologist and current cult leader festi had a word with the folks in your area and helped them see the error of their ways.

2:59 PM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I think they work on the "one mind" principle. Sort of like ants, but smarter.

7:40 PM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

And only during working hours, and when they're actually working.

7:41 PM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Archeologists, that is.

7:42 PM, October 17, 2005  
Blogger Greg Akers said...

Well, if you hadn't before, you've definitely made it now. Blog spam! I'm jealous.

6:44 AM, October 18, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Greg:
That was but the tip of the iceberg. I'd already removed two when that one showed up.

Since I happened to have been thinking about you last night, considering recommending a film, and HERE YOU ARE, I'm going to go ahead and do it. "Grand Canyon", directed by Lawrence Kasdan.

What a nice start to the day.

8:00 AM, October 18, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

I see that film is in my complete profile already.

9:59 PM, October 18, 2005  
Blogger Greg Akers said...

I saw the movie when it first came out, and liked it, but I was but a kid back then, and it deserves a fresh take. I heart Steve Martin.

Thanks for the tip!

3:35 PM, October 20, 2005  
Blogger la fille du fromage said...

wow. i live near the apple capital of something. is it the world? your apples sound much more interesting. i think you should create a cucumber-apple hybrid.
since you removed the spam comments, we all think that greg is crazy.

7:20 PM, October 20, 2005  
Blogger brendar said...

My Father grew up n New York (far north of la fille) and there are plentious apple no doubt. The Canadians (God bless them) would come down and work the land much like in California the Mexicans come up and work the land. He (my father) used to call the Canadians Apple-knockers. Now the whole family uses the term for any happless person who might not have the where-with-all to do much more than pick the odd apple. I've taken to naming the beer that I brew after the apple-knocker. I've got "Apple-Knocker Pale Ale", "Apple-Knocker Stout" and I'm working on an "Apple-Knocker Black Lager".

6:14 AM, October 21, 2005  
Blogger Greg Akers said...

Yeah, I'm starting to question my own sanity. That's not good. Apparently, when I go senile I see spam. And not the good kind either.

9:13 PM, October 22, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Greg:
Good spam?! To this day, my mother denies that she ever fed us spam. I remember, however, those jellyish, firm yet crumbly slices in my sandwiches way back in my formative years. It's all her fault.

I guess you were referring to the food?

3:05 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Brendar, knock-kneed in apple-knocker knickers, in an apple-knocker nook, brewing up a storm.

4:28 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Fille,
I make pickle relish with apple in it. Is that good enough?

4:30 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Steve,
We don't need apples, but you could send us some big brown boxes if you like ;) We just visited the three stores in our village to get banana boxes, but to no avail. It's the end of the month, and everyone who's moving has already taken them. Our front room is knee-deep in apple bags.

4:43 PM, October 24, 2005  
Blogger Greg Akers said...

Re: SPAM. Absolutely I'm referring to the food. The only thing better than spiced ham is Vienna Sausage, but the powers that be didn't name unsolicited junk blog comments VISAGE, so I'm rendered unable to reference the round canned delight, except in contrived circumstances such as this.

I'm hungry for lunch.

5:56 PM, October 26, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Greg,
My toes look like vienna sausages, which I am fond of, but only in a nostalgic way, since they were one of the staples when we camped out in my formative years. I guess that maybe balances out the spam, taking my mother off the hook. Good SPAM? Oh right, you're the one who liked Miricle Whip more than Hellman's. I believe a pattern is emerging here.

6:16 PM, October 26, 2005  
Blogger Joe said...

Another long spell without any Jeanne posts.

I'm beginning to wonder if the developers have found out about your affinity for the local archeologists (not to mention your relationship with festi - the leader of all archeologists in the free world) and have kidnapped you.

1:41 AM, October 28, 2005  
Blogger Jeanne said...

it's true. i've been kidnapped. i'm writing this with my nose. luckily for me they threw me into the junk room with the modern stuff. otherwise i'd be cut off from the world. i've wrapped myself in trousers, which there are an inordinate number of, to stay warm. got to stop now. nose hurts.

9:43 AM, October 28, 2005  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

uhhh.. spam is bad for you. The pixels clog in your liver and they are a major cause of polygon disease.

10:17 AM, November 02, 2005  
Blogger Unknown said...

An interesting post.

10:16 AM, August 01, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home