2006-03-11

Sim Reality

Instead of pecking our way out of an egg, let's say we are all together in an expandable bubble of sorts. Each original (own) thought we have inevitably moves the thinker a step further out from the center of the bubble, stretching the membrane and causing it to become tighter in other areas to compensate OR causing it to create new "cells" to increase it's circumference and maintain equilibrium. After each stretch, all of mankind shifts about a bit, and applies equal pressure to the outside edge again. Because the bubble is situated on a surface, it moves slightly in the direction of the shift when weight is relocated in the bubble. Depending on the nature of the age, people are looking in different directions, and different numbers of them are at the outside edge. In some ages, most people are looking back at what's been done, that is towards the center of the bubble, and not a lot of expansion happens, and in fact the bubble can actually shrink. In some ages, people are looking at themselves, concentrating on their own standing room, and very little expansion takes place. In some ages, practically everyone is looking around for someone who's doing a lot of pushing, and crowds round to push in that direction too. The bubble rolls around a lot then, but not much else happens. There are lots of directions to roll in, but the surface is limited, and has an edge all around which we really don't want to roll off of.

If everyone were to awaken and push against the membrane in his or her own direction at once and continually (which is what one hopes for), the density of this bubble would decrease to the extent that we would lift from the surface and fly.

24 Comments:

Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Sweet jesus.

That's the kind of talk that can bring down oppressive governments and flimsily constructed cults.

You speak of mass enlightenment concerning self-actualisation and the abandonment of fame as an ambition.

I presume everybody would need to puch against the exterior of the bubble at the same rate to prevent the bubble from becoming miss-shapen.

1:17 PM, March 13, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

UTMG,
I think that the range of variation is so limited and the number of people so great that there would be an "average" achievement. I do appreciate a round bubble.

BTW, my husband nearly choked on his musli. Try to give me a warning next time.

2:26 PM, March 13, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

On second thought, he'll just have to learn to swallow before reading my comment section.

2:27 PM, March 13, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

OY! OY!! Are you calling me repetative? Come here and say that to my face! Stomp, stomp. Kick. Grumble.

Am I repeating myself? Grumble grumble.

I don't THINK I'm repeating myself.

Oh God. Stuck in a rut. Tell me it isn't true.

8:20 PM, March 13, 2006  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I like your bubble theory.

It smells like a great big steaming mug of sense.

I'll be using it to wash down the crutons of apathy that stuck in my throat during breakfast.

11:09 AM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

p.s. - a warning about what?

I am confused like a.l.f. probably was when his show was cancelled.

11:11 AM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger consise10 said...

I reread this post five times!interesting theory although personally couldn`t relate it to anything in my life, other than being the one who would go all the way and tear out from the enclosure this 'bubble' would create and no.. not to fly,but just cease to exist.

11:46 AM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

UTMG,
WARNING: Sudden and explosive humor. Clear airways before reading.

1:02 PM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Consise,
I like that in a person. The immediate need to break through any imposed containment. You point out the true flaw in my reasoning. As to desiring to cease to exist? No. But insisting on being entirely unassuming as to the nature or fact of "existence" beyond? Absolutely.

I take my hat off to you.

1:08 PM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

UTMG,
I like my theory too, but as Consise pointed out, it has a major flaw. I will proceed to label it a tool rather than a theory.

1:11 PM, March 14, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Steve,
Today, hardship and necessity are pushing me in a direction I would otherwise never have chosen, and which has no effect on the bubble at all, unless incidentally.

I have to do an exam, so I will have to become wise again this evening. In the meantime it is rote memory that must provail.

9:52 AM, March 15, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Steve,
I like being egged on towards unchartered areas, even if it's unintentional egging. :)

9:54 AM, March 15, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

UTMG,
It was the Sweet Jesus that got to him.

10:08 AM, March 15, 2006  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Jesus got to him?

Damnit!

He's supposed to come to me first.

We had an agreement.

That's the last time i trust that sneaky zombie

1:48 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger tsduff said...

This subject was too deep for me.

11:32 PM, March 21, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Terry,
It's just a bunch of words. People themselves are much deeper than the products of their philosophical hyperactivity.

8:54 AM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Kathy said...

Your thoughts parallel my own these days. I would expand your commentary to include many bubbles that create a foaming mass. This foam expands or contracts as you describe and for the optimists in the room, someday all bubble barriers will come down and then the flying begins. Refreshing concept, Jeanne.

7:44 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Kathy,
I like it when minds move on similar (good) lines. It makes me feel like something is about to happen in the world.

10:37 PM, March 22, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

How did I miss this post -- and why haven't you written since?

Perhaps that's true, and yet their fear of rolling off the edge likely has as much to do with their inability to push as their inertia does.

10:02 PM, March 24, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Joe,
This poster missed you.

I've been through an academic wringer this last two weeks. I'm only just starting to reinflate.

11:05 AM, March 25, 2006  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Deflation.

urgh.

12:43 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Double urgh.

7:34 PM, April 03, 2006  
Blogger Joe said...

Glad to hear that you're okay, though I'm sorry to hear that you've been under what seems to be a fair amount of stress.

What can I do to help?

11:57 PM, April 05, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Joe,
Give me a good talking too. I need one.

1:28 PM, April 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home