2006-09-15

I'm It!

I've been mystically tagged. Feel free to consider yourselves tagged or untagged, oh ye who read.

I was an insatiable reader until my mid twenties. I haven't read much since then, since other things became more compelling.

Disclaimer: This list is limited and by no means fully encompasses the tagee's interest or exposure. It's a clue, though.

1) A book that changed my life: Crime and Punishment. I couldn't read further than a bit after the murder. It was far too convincing. I still suffer from occasional dreams of having murdered someone and knowing that I will innevitably be found out.
2) A book that I've read more than once: Practically every book I've liked. Most often would be a tie between "The Last Unicorn" (though I haven't read it for about twenty years now) and Ursula LeGuin's "The Left Hand of Darkness".
3) A book I'd take to a deserted island: Like Sidhe, a blank book. And a hell of a lot of scrap paper and yes, a hundred fine point pens with specifically black ink. And a dictionary, if the blank book didn't use up my one wish.
4) A book that made me laugh: Any and all Wodehouse. The first book that made me laugh out loud was "The Once and Future King" by T.H. White.
5) A book that made me cry: I can't think of one. Funny, considering I cry embarassingly easily during films.
6) A book I wish had been written: The one I probably should have written by now.
7) A book that should never have been written: Easy. The bible. It was never intended to be a book. What Jesus conveyed was living truth (as is all truth) and should have spread by way of contact, not by paper.
8) A book I'm currently reading: None, but I sure wish I was rereading Neil Gaiman's "American Gods", absolutely the best book I've read for years and one of my favorites period.
9) A book I'm planning to read: "High Fidelity", because I like the film and because my son just borrowed it from the school library where they don't have late fees.
10) (my addition) A book I recommend that people probably haven't heard of but should absolutely read: "When I was Five I Killed Myself" by Howard Buten. http://www.amazon.com/When-Was-Five-Killed-Myself/dp/0743423003

There. That was fun.

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That WAS fun! And another window into the world for someone like me who walks into a library and instantly forgets every author's name that was ever in my brain, and ends up reading the same mystery novel over and over! (kind of like buying the same album many times) - when I heard there was a book meme going around I got one of those fine-point pens ready (with strong, purposeful black ink, absolutely!) to jot down a list. Hey nonny nonny, I'm off to the library!

12:43 AM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Sidhe,
If it's a mystery you savour (and they are tantalizing), perhaps Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey?
http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Peter-Wimsey-Complete-Collection/dp/B00009WNVN/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_k2a_1_txt/002-4136933-4225652?ie=UTF8
Tony Hillerman's Jim Chee?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EGEYV6/ref=pd_cp_b_title/002-4136933-4225652?ie=UTF8
They are my favorites. If you haven't tried them already, do so. I gaurantee satisfaction.

8:59 AM, September 18, 2006  
Blogger Aimless Chatter said...

#10 - When I was five I killed myself.

With a title like that, I at least have to look at it. Thankfully my library has a copy.

2:50 AM, September 19, 2006  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Hi Fidelity is a great read.

5:42 PM, September 19, 2006  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I just checked out Kottke's cover of 'Rings' on youtube. Awesome. My sound is building towards this, i hope.

9:51 PM, September 22, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Ok, BUT...
Six and Twelve String Guitar is entirely acoustical. No singing at all. If you send me an address (my e-mail is under my profile) I will send you a tape of it. And leave a comment about the mail, because I hardly ever check that in-box.

11:33 PM, September 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I love Jim Chee! Went on a Chee Spree some years ago, but have lately gotten back into Ruth Rendell and her spine-tingling explorations of the human psyche; she was busy writing the whole time my kids were little and I had no time to read. As always, thanks for the links: our library is very small and I can always use ISBNs to access the inter-library loan service.
Have you checked out BookCrossings? very cool thing: www.bookcrossings.com, sorry - don't know how to do a link in a comment. yet!

12:58 AM, September 24, 2006  
Blogger Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Fear not. I will buy it on the basis of what I heard.

Roll on payday.

11:18 AM, September 25, 2006  
Blogger la fille du fromage said...

nice.
you know, though i too was an insatiable reader as a youngster (i write this while looking down through a web of grey hairs and i think i may have just lost continence), i seem to have missed so many well known authors/books. kafka, capote, joyce, dostoevsky, etc.
your list inspires me to read and write and .... yawn... well, maybe i'll just take a little nap first.

2:48 AM, September 29, 2006  
Blogger tsduff said...

I feel very unread. I haven't read anything on your list other than the one that shouldn't have ever been written... (I do beg to differ on that opinion, because sometimes I forget the message and have to refresh my memory).

12:34 AM, October 04, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Terry,
Ridiculous. There are so many books in the world that having any overlap with another person's path of interest is purely coincidental. Reading at all isn't even obligatory. The bible? Now that it is around, it is built in to our existence and awareness. If it weren't, I'm sure something else would serve to remind you of whatever you tend to forget. It's still you who goes there to be reminded, so you are the seeker.

12:11 PM, October 04, 2006  
Blogger Jeanne said...

Terry,
IMOSHO, of course. :)

12:13 PM, October 04, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home